buckbbuck

Regular
Unread Thursday, May 15th 2008, 12:12 AM #1 The Good, The Bad & The Messy – Summer Preview | NYC Nightlife Cred Quiz
The Good, The Bad & The Messy – Summer Preview
Its not quite summer yet, but everyone is probably ready for it to be, so The Good The Bad and The Messy will try to move things along and looks ahead with its annual Summer Preview.

THE GOOD – IS IT SUMMER YET?
As usual, Summer time in NYC is all about partying out of doors. After a long dark winter followed by a taste of sunshine during the week of WMC, and then usually a bit more winter, everyone is thoroughly prepared for the onset of Spring and Summer in the city. This summer seems to have an abundance of choices for the discerning outdoor clubber.

The Beach:
been around for a few years and has had a fair number of good parties including being a solid post-PS1 spot on Saturday evenings. This year [URL="http://www.watertaxibeach.com"]Water Taxi Beach[/URL] is upping the ante with improved sound, and has two big weekly parties.

Friday afternoon/evenings the folks from [URL="http://www.turntablesonthehudson.com"]Turntables on the Hudson[/URL] take over with their patented brand of funk and soul.

Sundays it is the [URL="http://www.danceherenownyc.com/wtb"]Dance.Here.Now.[/URL] folks with their weekly Beach Here Now outdoor bash which will bring loads of hot names including Miguel Migs on June 29th.

Finally Rhythmism.com itself is summoning the spirit of DC-10, Space Ibiza, Sundays in the Park, and the Beach Parties at Sonar for their special Rhythmism.com Beach Luau with what is probably the best group of Techno locals you can find in Stadenco, Taimur & Fahad, Adultnapper, Derek Plaslaiko and the big boys Mathew Dear and Three on June 8th. There are a limited supply of special [URL="http://www.ticketweb.com/t3/sale/SaleEventDetail?dispatch=loadSelectionData&pl=&eventId=274245&REFID=rhythmism"]$15 advance tickets[/URL] for Rhythmism.com members. [URL="http://www.rhythmism.com/forum/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=13674&c=1"]Get yours now![/URL]

[URL="http://www.rhythmism.com/forum/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=13674&c=1"][/URL]

The Boats:
Boat Parties are always a key element of any summer and there are a number of ships passing in the night this year.
The [URL="http://www.blkmarketmembership.com"]Blk|Market Membership[/URL] navy includes Italoboyz on June 15th, Pig & Dan in August and an extra special end of summer Boat Party in September.
[URL="http://www.globalfrequencies.com"]Global Frequencies[/URL] also hopes to keep you high on the high seas with Boat Bashes featuring Luke Fair on June 15th as well as a LOT of other very big names throughout the summer which you will just have to stay tuned for.
The [URL="http://www.lesoukny.com"]Le Souk[/URL] Pirate boat returns as well with the Sunday Sessions 7th Anniversary party. The Pirate themed shindig will feature Roger Sanchez, Jay J as well as all the Le Souk regulars this Sunday May 18th.

The Rooftops:
[URL="http://www.clubstudiob.com"]Studio B[/URL] in Greenpoint, Brooklyn opened a newly built rooftop deck and then closed it the next day for lack of permits. If you don’t want to trek out to hipster-land, [URL="http://www.bar13.com"]Bar 13’s [/URL]rooftop will be packed all summer long as well.

The Best Party In NYC:
[URL="http://www.ps1.org"]PS1.[/URL] I stand by my claim that this is the best party in NYC… even though their lineup was not as great as I could have hoped last year and they always take so damn long to release their schedule. Stay tuned to find out who’ll be gracing the courtyard this year.

The Pool:
Whenever I have gone to [URL="http://www.mccarrenpark.com"]McCarren Park Pool[/URL] I have thanked the higher powers that they no longer have water in it. I cannot even imagine the horror of swimming with 1000s of dirty Bedford Ave Hipsters in that gigantic urban lake. The other advantage of it being empty of water is that they can fill it with crowds for concerts, which is a much less disturbing way to be surrounded by Hipsters. So far the only DJ event that has been announced is [URL="http://www.madeevent.com/070508.php"]Armin van Buuren’s return on July 5th[/URL]. Hopefully more big announcements should come soon.

The Parks:
Rumsey Playfield/Summer Stage: Last year one of the highlights of Summer was Underworld of course. This year [URL="http://www.summerstage.org"]Central Park Summer Stage[/URL] returns with loads of variety but on the electronic tip two big bashes are June 26th with Thievery Corporation and August 3rd with Jamie Lidell & Gilles Peterson.

[URL="http://www.apwfestival.com"]All Points West: [/URL]
The East Coast version of the best festival in America hopes to recreate the vibe and flavor of Coachella for the NYC party people in Liberty State Park on August 8th & 9th. The lineup includes Underworld, Radiohead and more over three days.

Festivus:
This once a year party hosted by [URL="http://www.emu.org"]EMU[/URL] in Central Park is always a great day event that brings out loads of party people to the Great Lawn and has even been known to get random passer-bys dancing as well.

The Patio:
Flawless is starting a new Sunday Day party at The Porch which just might be the second coming of Le Souk as the place for outdoor Sunday shenanigans in alphabet city.
Another Sunday day party – [URL="http://www.sundaybestnyc.com"]Sunday Best![/URL] at The Yard in Gowanus Brooklyn brings loads of Deepness all summer long starting with Roy Davis Jr. and down the line King Britt, a Kevin Saunderson house set, Afrika Bambaataa and more every week.

THE BAD - NYC Nightlife Cred

In lieu of THE BAD, I was feeling a little nostalgic, looking back on my some of my days and nights in NYC and realized I have done a whole lot of going out. I realized I may not be as old school as many, but I think I could be a little more old school than some but there is no real way to quantify that. So the Good The Bad and The Messy has developed a state of the art, cutting edge, in depth Nightlife Credibility Quiz to do just that.

So, grab a pencil and read on to figure out just how “Old School” you really are. You can score yourself at the end.

Section 1: Been There Done That
For each of the clubs or parties you have attended ADD +2 points. (Unless otherwise noted.)
  • Twilo
  • Save The Robots
  • Robots (+1)
  • Tunnel
  • Soundfactory (27th Street) (+3)
  • Soundfactory (46th Street) (+1)
  • Shelter (Hubert St)
  • Shelter (39th St)
  • Shelter (Varick) (+1)
  • Filter 14
  • Limelight
  • Le Souk (when they had an actual real lawn)
  • Thought ‘Save the Robots’ was the same as Robots (-5)

Section 2: Before They Were Famous
Endless great DJs have started off in NYC and many have played to tiny crowds in intimate joints. Add +3 points for every big time DJ who you saw at these classic nightspots or parties.
  • Astro&Glyde at Izzy Bar
  • Magda at Drinkland
  • Larry Tee at Luxx
  • Joeski & Onionz at Mondaze
  • Disco D (RIP) at Booty Bar
  • Neil Aline at Plant Bar
  • Adultnapper at Halcyon on Smith St.
  • Little Louie Vega at Sound Factory Bar
  • Kevin Mchugh pre-Ambivalent at Filter 14
  • Alexi Delano at Novacento

BONUS: Before They Were Born
If you were going out before The Martinez Brothers were born (1988), add 2 more points.

Section 3: When it was THERE?
There are lots of legendary parties that have traveled all over NYC and been at many different venues. But were you there at some of the earliest locations? (ADD +2)
  • Giant Step at Shine
  • Tronic Treatment at Guernica
  • Subliminal Sessions at Centro Fly
  • Robots at Open Air
  • Respect Is Burning at Twilo
  • Turntables on the Hudson at The Frying Pan

Section 4: Remember That Time You…?
Then of course there are other signs that you have been around a looong time (ADD +2)
  • Heard Drum & Bass at Baktun
  • Planned your weekend with the help of Flyer Magazine
  • Attended a weekly Body & Soul party
  • Saw Bill Patrick rock out to Paul van Dyk
  • Ended up at Kokie’s
  • Listened to records at 8-Ball, Temple, or the original Satellite Records
  • Met Michael Alig or Keoki
  • Did drugs with Michael Alig or Keoki (ADD +5)
  • Saw Mike Bindra dance (+3)
  • Couldn’t Find Anyone that gave a shit about Techno
  • Wandered through Tribeca at 5AM after a Touch Party to hit up DT at Vinyl
  • Were Afraid on Avenue B

Section 5: Extra Credit
And then of course there are those who are REALLY Old School. ADD +2 for every party, place or DJ you have experienced:
  • Octagon
  • Club USA
  • Danceteria
  • Larry Levan (+3)
  • David Mancuso
  • Palladium
  • Red Zone

THE MESSY
Every time Sasha & Digweed reunite at some club in NYC it is inevitable that the Twilo comparison will come up. It is pretty much impossible to recreate that but the boys do have it in them to at least remind everyone what it used to be like. So how did their first club date in over two years measure up? Pretty damn good. Early on was a vintage Sasha & Digweed chug-a-thon and late night for the last hour and a half was wicked acid house of the old school Twilo variety including a grab bag of classics from a Heaven Scent remix to Mismoplastico from the original Renaissance compilation as well as a few more. Sasha closed it up with a wickedly beautiful Drum and Bass track and when the crowd begged for more they let them know “You Can’t Always Get What you Want” by dropping the Soulwax remix of the Rolling Stones.

Other hot parties lately included Dance.Here.Now. with Danny Howells at Cielo which was a night of funky clubby goodness, Stadenco and Melanie Moore rocked it all day at the Porch for the Bizarre Bazaar with endless classics, a plethora of props and the B-day girls who Came to Make Party, and of course the Red Bull fueled Flawless five year anniversary was a blast with Bennett opening up with his best Jimmy Van M impression, Stadenco again digging into his awesome classics box, and Hector Romero finishing it off with a rocking headlining set. Finally the 2 year anniversary of Blk|Market Membership was as bad-ass as you would expect with Craig Richards and Stadenco, Taimur & Fahad and an endless supply of Mustache’s at Love.

Coming up as Spring turns to Summer, Basic NYC has a few big ones at Sullivan Room with Derrick Carter returning on June 14th and Terry Francis visiting on June 28th. The Blk|Market boys bring in Andrew Weatherall to Bar 13 on June 6th and Studio B welcomes Four Tet on June 6th and Green Velvet June 21st. Cielo remains solid with Danny Tenaglia on May 22nd, Pär Grindvik/Adultnapper/Alexi Delano on May 23rd, Marques Wyatt on June 13th, Leeeeeee Burridge on July 4th, and Loco “No Dice” on July 10th.

NYC Nightlife Cred Score Sheet
1-10 If you were any less old school you'd be the future.
11-30 You're kicking it Kindergarten style.
31-50 High School was an awkward time, its ok, things will get better.
51-70 Most people this old school, have dropped out by now.
71-90 You've earned a PHD in Old School.
91-100+ You should wear depends next time you go out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	beachism_20080608.jpg
Views:	9097
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	47380  
Last edited by buckbbuck; Thursday, May 15th 2008 at 10:35 AM..

Sidney Oolongo

BANNED
Unread Thursday, May 15th 2008, 12:19 AM #2
who the hell writes this crap?

starstuff

Chief Flack
Unread Thursday, May 15th 2008, 12:34 AM #3
Sidney Oolongo -10 for being a douchebag

SILVERBULL

DANCING POET
Unread Thursday, May 15th 2008, 12:48 AM #4
Enjoyed reading this. And i got 11 points lol.
"Somewhere in you girl I've been looking for heaven baby.See I spent my lifetime only to find heaven's in you."

My 50min interview from bouncefm.com
http://www.bouncefm.com/index.php?op...ideo&Itemid=80

Ekco

how do you say delovely?
Unread Thursday, May 15th 2008, 12:56 AM #5
48 points. Damn I'm old.
memorization < ( intuition + investigation )
A Certified Scrummaster is I!
ISO27001, bitches.

Sidney Oolongo

BANNED
Unread Thursday, May 15th 2008, 01:23 AM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by starstuff View Post
Sidney Oolongo -10 for being a douchebag

3:31- 4:41 MARK

starstuff

Chief Flack
Unread Thursday, May 15th 2008, 01:26 AM #7
I counted 69...can that be right?!?! Although everything on that list was all too familiar. I remember my first time in a club was Red Zone in 10th grade. It's late though...I'll have to take it again in the AM and reconfirm my score.

I'm losing my edge.
The kids are coming up from behind.
I'm losing my edge.
I'm losing my edge to the kids from Williamsburg and coming in from Indiana.

I was there in 1990.
I was there at Disco 2000 and never even met Michael Alig.

I was there in 1997.
I was there to see Junior at Palladium before it was an NYU dorm.

I was there in 1999.
I was there to see Paul Oakenfold play Vinyl on a Tuesday night.

I was there in 2001.
I was there at Space Ibiza before they covered their roof and you could see the DC-10s fly overhead and cheer with the crowd.

I was there in 2004.
I was there at the Filter 14 closing party when blood still ran in the streets.

I was there in 2005.
I was there working Loveparade before it turned into LoveFest.

I was there in 2007.
I was there in Detroit finally catching up with Techno.

I'm losing my edge.

Krizia

insert here
Unread Thursday, May 15th 2008, 01:27 AM #8
wow i went to club usa... im fucking old

Lust-E

Motherfucker Jones
Unread Thursday, May 15th 2008, 01:35 AM #9 Thumbs up
Quote:
I counted 69...can that be right?!?! Although everything on that list was all too familiar. I remember my first time in a club was Red Zone in 10th grade. It's late though...I'll have to take it again in the AM and reconfirm my score.

I'm losing my edge.
I'm losing my edge.

I was there in 1990.

I was there in 1997.

I was there in 1999.

I was there in 2001.
I was there at Space Ibiza before they covered their roof and you could see the DC-10s fly overhead and cheer with the crowd.

I was there in 2004.

I was there in 2005.

I was there in 2007.

I'm losing my edge.
I'd known her for years. We used to go to all the police functions together. Ah, how I loved her, but she had her music. I think she had her music. She'd hang out with the Chicago Male Chorus and Symphony. I don't recall her playing an instrument or being able to carry a tune. Yet she was on the road 300 days of the year. In fact, I bought her a harp for Christmas. She asked me what it was.

Mik-E SmileZ

1 of God's Own Prototypes
Unread Thursday, May 15th 2008, 01:38 AM #10
41 points....can't recall seeing bindra REALLY dance but i may have, so it could be 44.
Last edited by Mik-E SmileZ; Thursday, May 15th 2008 at 01:44 AM.. Reason: can't add

kafka

Die Mensch-Machine
Unread Thursday, May 15th 2008, 01:44 AM #11
Sound Factory 54th St?
Wasn't the first location what became Twilo, and the second location what has become Pacha? W 46th St. if memory serves me right.
*J*
"Cyberspace. A consensual hallucination experienced daily by billions of legitimate operators, in every nation, by children being taught mathematical concepts...
A graphic representation of data abstracted from banks of every computer in the human system.
Unthinkable complexity. Lines of light ranged in the non-space of the mind, clusters and constellations of data.
Like city lights, receding..." -- Neuromancer, William Gibson.

norah

missus
Unread Thursday, May 15th 2008, 01:49 AM #12
i have seen Bindra dance and Kevin McHugh (not Micromini but DT's manager).

seeing Kevin dance is more rare than Bindra

i miss NY.

Sidney Oolongo

BANNED
Unread Thursday, May 15th 2008, 02:06 AM #13 i suck @ math btw
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmism View Post
The Good, The Bad & The Messy – Summer Preview
So, grab a pencil and read on to figure out just how “Old School” you really are.

Section 1: Been There Done That
For each of the clubs or parties you have attended ADD +2 points. (Unless otherwise noted.)
  • Twilo +2
  • Save The Robots +2 (w/DJ Duke)
  • Robots (+1) 0
  • Tunnel +2
  • Soundfactory (27th Street) (+3) 0
  • Soundfactory (54th Street) (+1) +2
  • Shelter (Hubert St) 0
  • Shelter (39th St aka Speed) +2
  • Shelter (Varick) (+1) +2
  • Filter 14 +2
  • Limelight +2
  • Le Souk (when they had an actual real lawn) +2 (iwhen there was a sandy floor )
  • Thought ‘Save the Robots’ was the same as Robots (-5)

Section 2: Before They Were Famous
Endless great DJs have started off in NYC and many have played to tiny crowds in intimate joints. Add +3 points for every big time DJ who you saw at these classic nightspots or parties.
  • Astro&Glyde at Izzy Bar 0
  • Magda at Drinkland 0
  • Larry Tee at Luxx 0
  • Joeski & Onionz at Mondaze +3
  • Disco D (RIP) at Booty Bar 0
  • Neil Aline at Plant Bar +3
  • Adultnapper at Halcyon on Smith St. 0
  • Little Louie Vega at Sound Factory Bar +3
  • Kevin Mchugh pre-Ambivalent at Filter 14 (+3 i think, i dont remember )
  • Alexi Delano at Novacento 0

BONUS: Before They Were Born
If you were going out before The Martinez Brothers were born (1988), add 2 more points.

+2

Section 3: When it was THERE?
There are lots of legendary parties that have traveled all over NYC and been at many different venues. But were you there at some of the earliest locations? (ADD +2)
  • Giant Step at Shine +2
  • Tronic Treatment at Guernica +2
  • Subliminal Sessions at Centro Fly +2 (that party sucked donkey bawls! )
  • Robots at Open Air +2
  • Respect Is Burning at Twilo +2
  • Turntables on the Hudson at The Frying Pan +2

Section 4: Remember That Time You…?
Then of course there are other signs that you have been around a looong time (ADD +2)
  • Heard Drum & Bass at Baktun +2
  • Planned your weekend with the help of Flyer Magazine 0
  • Attended a weekly Body & Soul party +2
  • Saw Bill Patrick rock out to Paul van Dyk 0
  • Ended up at Kokie’s 0
  • Listened to records at 8-Ball, Temple, or the original Satellite Records +2 (btw, vinylmania wouldve made it longer mr nOOb writer)
  • Met Michael Alig or Keoki 0
  • Did drugs with Michael Alig or Keoki (ADD +5) 0
  • Saw Mike Bindra dance (+3) 0
  • Couldn’t Find Anyone that gave a shit about Techno +2
  • Wandered through Tribeca at 5AM after a Touch Party to hit up DT at Vinyl 0 huh?
  • Were Afraid on Avenue B 0 (author =pussy)

Section 5: Extra Credit
And then of course there are those who are REALLY Old School. ADD +2 for every party, place or DJ you have experienced:
  • Octagon +2
  • Club USA +2 (cafe con leche! )
  • Danceteria 0
  • Larry Levan (+3) 0
  • David Mancuso 0
  • Red Zone 0

Section 1: 19 pts
Section 2: 12 pts
Section 3: 12 pts
Section 4: 08 pts
Section 5: 04 pts
****Bonus: 02 pts

TOTAL: 55 pts

there's alot of flaws to this "poularity" quiz btw

rod

hunter and gatherer
Unread Thursday, May 15th 2008, 02:30 AM #14
53 points.

some would call me a loser, i just call myself lucky.
1.06 D-SI1 round $5700 (18kt gold setting included)

norah

missus
Unread Thursday, May 15th 2008, 04:42 AM #15
Quote:
Were Afraid on Avenue B 0 (author =pussy)

Der geile Ami

the astonishing
Unread Thursday, May 15th 2008, 05:31 AM #16
42 pts, no bad for starting out in 98.

jackie christie or mother is missing from the test, as is the marc ballroom and a bunch of mid 90s spots.
not a bad test, but seemingly too focused on 98 - 2003 (only way i scored, lol)
Tribal and Glauren should suit up or shut up.

taimur

Tuning your spork
Unread Thursday, May 15th 2008, 05:35 AM #17
Quote:

I'm losing my edge.
I'm losing my edge.

I was there in 1990.

I was there in 1997.

I was there in 1999.

I was there in 2001.

I was there in 2004.

I was there in 2005.

I was there in 2007.

I'm losing my edge.
amazing

BLKMARKET MEMBERSHIP

starstuff

Chief Flack
Unread Thursday, May 15th 2008, 09:13 AM #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmism View Post
  • Saw Mike Bindra dance (+3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik-E SmileZ View Post
41 points....can't recall seeing bindra REALLY dance but i may have, so it could be 44.
That was obviously a trick question -10 for cheating

gogoamy

Rhythmist
Unread Thursday, May 15th 2008, 09:17 AM #19
Quote:

i scored 42 points

bluestar

custom user title
Unread Thursday, May 15th 2008, 09:21 AM #20
i miss NY too...scored 67

ManWhore

Cripple Fighter
Unread Thursday, May 15th 2008, 09:24 AM #21
14 points.

paulnahm

the future is now
Unread Thursday, May 15th 2008, 09:38 AM #22
Quote:

i saw him kinda move in rhythm to the chem bros at mccarren park...

then again, i had been up for a few days and was seeing waves everywhere...

soooo...yeah...
with the market these days, if you own anything but land, you own a popcorn farm!

JP

Pimped Out World Leader [mod]
Unread Thursday, May 15th 2008, 09:39 AM #23
how the hell did i get 42 points?

paulnahm

the future is now
Unread Thursday, May 15th 2008, 09:41 AM #24
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
how the hell did i get 42 points?
just b/c you were afraid on ave b 6 doesn't mean you get 12 pts dude...
with the market these days, if you own anything but land, you own a popcorn farm!

ManWhore

Cripple Fighter
Unread Thursday, May 15th 2008, 09:43 AM #25
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulnahm View Post
just b/c you were afraid on ave b 6 doesn't mean you get 12 pts dude...

regina

lucky charm'd
Unread Thursday, May 15th 2008, 09:45 AM #26
~the most wasted of all days is one without laughter~
"okay so in 5 years we'll all get married, live on an island and spin a set for you girls every night before bed...how's that?" - porter

facebook

the thing we need is never all that hard to find.

CrashinCarey

Rhythmist
Unread Thursday, May 15th 2008, 09:47 AM #27
no props for going to carbon ?

DirtyDave

Nostrildamus
Unread Thursday, May 15th 2008, 10:10 AM #28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashinCarey View Post
no props for going to carbon ?

or Metropolis in College Point?

It's that moment of rhythm-induced rapture that we've all experienced..when the party, the people, the music and the DJ all come together to create that perfect flash in time....when a week of drudgery, work and real life will all be washed away in a blur of abandon..and Saturday night is indeed the night a DJ saves your life.

"In my opinion, this sums up the definition of the global underground electronic scene ... it's a sort of machoism, but also a primitive human instinct, just as cultures of homosapiens have danced around a fire for thousands of years. Well now it has resurfaced in modern society. House music."

CrashinCarey

Rhythmist
Unread Thursday, May 15th 2008, 10:25 AM #29
or what about more points for going through the gay entrance to get into tunnel because you were underage

commando

be calm
Unread Thursday, May 15th 2008, 10:31 AM #30
74 You've earned a PHD in Old School.

I could add some for more points... (2 each)
Was at the first appearance of Sasha DJ in the US (and name the party)
Bonus if you can name the location of the afterhours for that party.

Estimate the number of people at Twilo for the first Sasha and Diggers party.
If your first guess is over 500 people your are way off.

Have hung out in the original naughtybooth

Have been to a Nasa Party on hubert St.

shopped at Liquid sky

If you have been to Caffeine when micro and onions played there.
bonus to name its secret afterhours spot.

Been to the first Rave in NYC

Been to a rave at all

Rode the slide at Club USA

Can Name which moderator that spun at Twilo and saw it happen.

Can name the first club Armand Van Helden Played at before moving to NYC.
Same answer for one of the other questions.
"Don't confuse your own fail for pravda." - BMC