prettykitty

Rhythmist
Unread Monday, Apr 16th 2007, 04:27 PM #1 Cheeky B*stard Two Year Anniversary with BLACK STROBE's Arnuld Rebotini & LE TIGRE's
Cheeky B*stard Two Year Anniversary with
BLACK STROBE's Arnuld Rebotini &
LE TIGRE's J.D. & Johanna Fateman
Services (Live)
Vodka Open Bar from 10pm to 11pm & Drinks Specials
Thursday April 19 at Hiro Ballroom

It's been two years already - and even though he isn't old enough to drink, Cheeky B*stard is old enough to celebrate. We'll be bringing in some of our favorites - Arnuld Rebotini (a.k.a., one half of Black Strobe), Johanna and JD of Le Tigre - and this really cool electronic rock band called Services ( who have already been remixed by MSTRKRFT and ATOC - and are going to be huge one day) who will be playing earlier on.
Come and help us celebrate - we'll be expecting you.

Vodka Open Bar from 10pm to 11pm
Drinks Specials:
$8 Tiger-Beer-and-Whisky-Chaser-Combo, and $4 Sparks

Pictures by Nickydigital.com
Checkout party pictures by GBH: [url]http://www.gbh.tv/hiro.htm[/url]

For complimentary admission go to [url]www.GBH.tv[/url]

Table Reservations 212-807-6795

Doors Open 10pm

HIRO Ballroom: 371 W. 16 St. & 9th Ave

Thursday Upcoming Events & DJ Lineup:
April 26 - its a surprise...
May 3 - Braz Girls (Boys DJ set), Ursula 1000, and 33Hz (live)
May 10 - Air Official After-Party
May 17 - GBH 9 Year Anniversary w/ Fedde Le Grand, DJ Angola, Men, Women, and Children (live)
May 24 - Ladytron DJ set
May 31 - Young Love (live)

See You There!

Walfredo

Divulge the bulge
Unread Monday, Apr 16th 2007, 04:48 PM #2 Unhappy
As this vast, appalling ocean surrounds the verdant land...

Lust-E

Motherfucker Jones
Unread Monday, Apr 16th 2007, 05:02 PM #3
could ya bring the other half of blackstrobe? just sayin'
I'd known her for years. We used to go to all the police functions together. Ah, how I loved her, but she had her music. I think she had her music. She'd hang out with the Chicago Male Chorus and Symphony. I don't recall her playing an instrument or being able to carry a tune. Yet she was on the road 300 days of the year. In fact, I bought her a harp for Christmas. She asked me what it was.

.thejass.

.ssajeht.
Unread Thursday, Apr 19th 2007, 10:56 AM #4 Exclamation Ivan Smagghe leaves Black Strobe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lust-E View Post
could ya bring the other half of blackstrobe? just sayin'
tonight should be interesting...

The DJ half of the Parisian electro project calls it quits.

The split comes as Black Strobe move away from remix work towards being a full fledged live band with guitars, drums and Arnaud Rebotini on vocals. Since its inception, Smagghe declined to participate in the live project, preferring to watch from the sidelines. “My DJing has zero influence on Black Strobe,” a frustrated Smagghe told RA in late 2006. “I try and keep the two things quite separate.”

"Musical differences" has been announced as the reason for the split. No surprises there for Black Strobe watchers, with Smagghe sticking to electronic dance music and Rebotini exploring more gothic rock influences on recent material. “It’s not always easy to keep the lid on all these influences,” Smagghe told RA. “I suppose we have grown up, and the electronic simplicity was not enough anymore. But it may be what we go back to next…”

No such luck, with the format split now announced by Rebotini to DJ Mag's Richard Brophy. “Smagghe has moved away and is focused on his DJ career,” says Rebotini. “Black Strobe’s changeover to a live sound was difficult for him because he’s a great DJ, but he’s not a musician and he didn’t feel comfortable being on stage. Black Strobe was always about finding an equilibrium and while he brought the dance floor sensibility, maybe my influence was too strong.”

The split comes on the eve of the release of Black Strobe’s debut album ‘Burn Your Own Church’, which arrives in June.

[url]http://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=8634[/url]

Lust-E

Motherfucker Jones
Unread Thursday, Apr 19th 2007, 12:24 PM #5
....at least i was lucky enough to see Blackstrobe live twice. Still the TWO BEST performances i ever saw in Ibiza.
I'd known her for years. We used to go to all the police functions together. Ah, how I loved her, but she had her music. I think she had her music. She'd hang out with the Chicago Male Chorus and Symphony. I don't recall her playing an instrument or being able to carry a tune. Yet she was on the road 300 days of the year. In fact, I bought her a harp for Christmas. She asked me what it was.

.thejass.

.ssajeht.
Unread Friday, Apr 20th 2007, 02:48 PM #6 Thumbs up .thejass. re-veiw arnaud rebotini's dj set @ cheeky bastard party in hiro ballroom
rebotini can stand on his own-he is black strobe:
just after news was released that ivan smagge has quit black strobe, arnoud rebotini-producer and singer from Black Strobe djed at ghb's 2 year anniversary 'cheeky bastard' party at hiro ballroom last night. rebotini took up his position behind the dj booth and proved that he can stand on his own-he is black strobe!

'scared the death out of disco':
playing audion's remix of black strobe's "i'm a man" rebotini set the mood for his gig-those expecting the trademark sound of black strobe were quickly updated on rebotini's vision: parisian industrial goth rock injected with detroit's dark repetitive techno. gloom and doom was pounded into a hard fear-pushing you to dance as hard as you could-rebotini 'scared the death out of disco'!