DavidJosephs

the name is don james
Unread Sunday, May 20th 2007, 03:20 AM #1 DC Review @ Sully
It's been a while since I've done one of these - I won't make this drawn out and winded though.

Eric Andrew fucking destroyed that room to open up for Carter - if you're familiar with labels and the sounds that usually go with them think of NRK, Freerange, OM (while I know Eric probably didn't play much from these labels b/c he is a master of digging and finding gems not just present but also from the past)...straight up thumping, gritty house music mixed to freaking perfection. Eric's presence behind the decks was stellar as well..people always feed off someone who they can tell is having such a good time..my hat off to you sir.

Carter gets on at around 1:30 -- the place is electric by now after Eric setting him up so well (Eric also did a great job taking it down a notch PERFECTLY right before Derrick..not enough dj's know how to do this). Not only is the room electric but it's packed...everyone is dancing their asses off with smiles abundant. Carter starts playing some classic Chicago style house..best way I can describe it is groovy..nothing over the top but nontheless ass shaking, feeling good music. Yes, I had to leave at 3am b/c I was running around all day doing errands and then some other stuff but while my body wanted to leave and get in bed my ears, head and every other possible part of me wanted to stay real bad...true test of a great, great night.

hats off to sully crew, sunburn and s&b
Perceptions on Proton Radio schedule: Coming back at ya soon!

Upcoming Dates:
TBD

Where I get my news: www.GlobalNewsNetwork.us

Alla

daydreamer
Unread Sunday, May 20th 2007, 04:52 AM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJosephs View Post
It's been a while since I've done one of these - I won't make this drawn out and winded though.

Eric Andrew fucking destroyed that room to open up for Carter - if you're familiar with labels and the sounds that usually go with them think of NRK, Freerange, OM (while I know Eric probably didn't play much from these labels b/c he is a master of digging and finding gems not just present but also from the past)...straight up thumping, gritty house music mixed to freaking perfection. Eric's presence behind the decks was stellar as well..people always feed off someone who they can tell is having such a good time..my hat off to you sir.

Carter gets on at around 1:30 -- the place is electric by now after Eric setting him up so well (Eric also did a great job taking it down a notch PERFECTLY right before Derrick..not enough dj's know how to do this). Not only is the room electric but it's packed...everyone is dancing their asses off with smiles abundant. Carter starts playing some classic Chicago style house..best way I can describe it is groovy..nothing over the top but nontheless ass shaking, feeling good music. Yes, I had to leave at 3am b/c I was running around all day doing errands and then some other stuff but while my body wanted to leave and get in bed my ears, head and every other possible part of me wanted to stay real bad...true test of a great, great night.

hats off to sully crew, sunburn and s&b
Yeah, i'm pretty sure you left right before it got REALLY good, my feet are killing me, and as much as I wanted to close it out, I just couldn't, Eric, oh my, that was some opening...
Sarcasm and compassion are two of the qualities that make life on earth tolerable.

erokk

DA DA
Unread Sunday, May 20th 2007, 06:21 AM #3
wow. thanks for the kind words david. & alla. feels good to read that. i'm glad you enjoyed my set. i had the best time up there doing what i love to do. and i guess the way i was feeling translated pretty well onto the dancefloor.

too bad you left before rich and i got the shit kicked out of us all over the dancefloor for no reason whatsoever.

but DJ, next time...let my wife in the booth

Oooooooooooh YEAH!!!
Unread Sunday, May 20th 2007, 07:46 AM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by erokk View Post

too bad you left before rich and i got the shit kicked out of us all over the dancefloor for no reason whatsoever.
i'm still speechless over the mayhem that went on in there. what the fuck was that all about?

Jesse Landry

Digweed Fan.........
Unread Sunday, May 20th 2007, 07:50 AM #5
I battled back in forth in my mind about going out last night...

Had to opt on staying in.....Need more reviews please!

Pictures too
Upcoming Gigs:

Crickets

Shrina

Whoo!
Unread Sunday, May 20th 2007, 09:16 AM #6 Thumbs up wowwweeeeeee
love derrick so much, was so disappointed there was not much booty shakin room

thanks so much s&b for another banger, jeez everyone was bomping!

really glad to see so many ppl come out of the woodwork for this one, it was like an old timey reunion

french exit had to be employed.
Conflict has become a law of cultural dynamics and crisis after crisis has become a normal way of life. In our time there are no greater disasters than man-made disasters. As Max Scheler put it: "... man is a complete deserter from life... Within the order of his species... man himself is a disease..."

Yours In Funk,
©Shrina

Snookums

Rhythmist
Unread Sunday, May 20th 2007, 10:06 AM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by erokk View Post
wow. thanks for the kind words david. & alla. feels good to read that. i'm glad you enjoyed my set. i had the best time up there doing what i love to do. and i guess the way i was feeling translated pretty well onto the dancefloor.

but DJ, next time...let my wife in the booth
My heart seriously dropped when I saw that and saw it was u guys. Took me a bit to calm down from the Mayhem.

Great set Eric!! As always!

housjunkee

Rhythmist
Unread Sunday, May 20th 2007, 11:29 AM #8
yeah, it was a really dope party. Derrick killed it as always. It was a dope moment when he played the bootleg i did of Blair- Life and then my main man Marko Militanos What You Say, which in my opinion is one of the dopest tracks I have ever heard, place went bonkers when he played it. Cant wait til D comes back. Nice job S&B

doubledip

We Came to Make Party™
Unread Sunday, May 20th 2007, 11:30 AM #9
not surprised that eric + derrick rocked sully

wtf happened on the dance floor though?!!??!

DJ AB LOGIC

Ask Somebody!
Unread Sunday, May 20th 2007, 11:38 AM #10
derrick KILLED it as usual. that was the best night out i had in a long time. thanks s & b for bringing him to town---really enjoyed it

sleepy&boo

What the fuck?
Unread Sunday, May 20th 2007, 12:50 PM #11
OH man my head!!!

That was just ridiculous. Everything I had envisioned for Derrick Carter at Sully - and a whole lot more. Sweaty, bumping, groovy, dirty...fun. He just straight up destroyed that place...a real signature DC set that had everyone going nuts.

Eric, I knew you'd be the perfect fit to set things up just proper for Derrick. Can't wait to have you back again...maybe next time without the dancefloor brawl? WTF?

A big happy B-Day to Frank (Gatto) who brought a great vibe to the decks with some real nice deep house. It was a pleasure celebrating this one with you!!

Thanks to everyone who came out for the party....definitely one for the books!!

Time to go eat some brunch...more to come....Ooooof!!
Sleepy & Boo
http://www.basicnyc.com

For party info - rsvp@basicnyc.com

Alla

daydreamer
Unread Sunday, May 20th 2007, 12:53 PM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy&boo View Post
OH man my head!!!

That was just ridiculous. Everything I had envisioned for Derrick Carter at Sully - and a whole lot more. Sweaty, bumping, groovy, dirty...fun. He just straight up destroyed that place...a real signature DC set that had everyone going nuts.

Eric, I knew you'd be the perfect fit to set things up just proper for Derrick. Can't wait to have you back again...maybe next time without the dancefloor brawl? WTF?

A big happy B-Day to Frank (Gatto) who brought a great vibe to the decks with some real nice deep house. It was a pleasure celebrating this one with you!!

Thanks to everyone who came out for the party....definitely one for the books!!

Time to go eat some brunch...more to come....Ooooof!!
Thanks so much, that was a blast! I want to see the pics
Sarcasm and compassion are two of the qualities that make life on earth tolerable.

stadenco

spaceman.
Unread Sunday, May 20th 2007, 01:01 PM #13
sounds like a fun night.

Eric Andrew is one of the best DJs in NYC, and the perfect guy to set up DC. not surprised to hear he rocked it.

sorry i was out of town last night and missed it.
http://www.stadenco.net
http://www.soundcloud.com/stadenco/

--------------------------------------------
"I'm worth a million in prizes" - Iggy Pop
...music which always says the same thing to you will necessarily soon become dull music,
but music whose meaning is slightly different with each hearing has a greater chance of remaining alive. - Aaron Copland

Bart

Not Impressed
Unread Sunday, May 20th 2007, 01:15 PM #14
Quote:
Eric, I knew you'd be the perfect fit to set things up just proper for Derrick. Can't wait to have you back again...maybe next time without the dancefloor brawl?

sleepy&boo

What the fuck?
Unread Sunday, May 20th 2007, 01:19 PM #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post

Ooopsie!
Sleepy & Boo

freezeout

well well
Unread Sunday, May 20th 2007, 02:08 PM #16
jeez that place was going off the whole night.outstanding opening set by Eric too. rarely have I ever seen that place that crowded.

but yeah, that was some seriously effed up shit late night..i was just totally shocked that someone would actually act like that at sullivan room no less
Music I make...

Phenotract

Shans & Schwinge
Last edited by freezeout; Sunday, May 20th 2007 at 02:14 PM..

Walfredo

Divulge the bulge
Unread Sunday, May 20th 2007, 02:32 PM #17
That was some really fucked up shit. I'm still aghast over it. Totally surreal. Very sorry this happened to Eric who is obviously one of the best guys around as anyone who knows him would attest.

I sincerely hope those people are barred from entering the club in the future.

1 on 1 fight ok, 5 to 1 fight not fair.
As this vast, appalling ocean surrounds the verdant land...

th0rax

Rhythmist
Unread Sunday, May 20th 2007, 03:15 PM #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by housjunkee View Post
yeah, it was a really dope party. Derrick killed it as always. It was a dope moment when he played the bootleg i did of Blair- Life and then my main man Marko Militanos What You Say, which in my opinion is one of the dopest tracks I have ever heard, place went bonkers when he played it. Cant wait til D comes back. Nice job S&B
I have to say Militano's track is INsane, but DAMN Brian...when Derrick dropped "LIFE" the place went nuts - I was really happy to see your track destroy the dancefloor like that ! Seriously everyone had their hands up when your jam came on...BIG UPs...also did Derrick loop it or something? cuz it def did sound like he played it twice in a row

what the reviews so far didn't mention is that Derrick not only DESTROYED the place, he simply schooled all of us how sh*t should be dropped - I mean, OMFG - acapellas, loops, agressive mixing - this was probably one of THE BEST live sets I have heard in the past five years...if not EVER.
Coming Up:
---------
12/4, SAT - Basic NYC pres. LOCALS Night @Sullivan Room

Rising1

Regular
Unread Sunday, May 20th 2007, 03:24 PM #19
I was watching DC for a little while hanging back by the booth with Sleepy and Boo. He was absolutely going off! Dropping beats in and out, loops, filters just bananas... Working it the whole time. It was one of the best sets I've heard in a very long time.

Thanks S&B! It was a great night..

I was really disappointed to hear about what happened to Eric and his friend. Sadly, some people just don't get it.

KINGREWIND

Fuck Your Laptop!
Unread Sunday, May 20th 2007, 03:35 PM #20 Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by th0rax View Post
this was probably one of THE BEST live sets I have heard in the past five years...if not EVER.

I couldn't agree more. That was surely Derrick Carter at 110%. And the music only got better the later it got. Oh yeah Housejunkee props on the Blair remix. That's always been one of my favorite toons and you really gave it a good turn. It definitely lit up the place and was one of the highlights of the night. Another moment for me was Derrick droppping Paul Jacob's "Motorcross Madness" and mashing the shit out of it with another track that I can't remember right now. That was the best night in recent memory that I have had at Sully.

The fight was bullshit. Derrick had's everyone's adrenalin pumpin' so it's no surprise that some meathead couldn't handle his roid rage and wigged out. It happens. A mere momentary blight on what was otherwise a brilliant night.

RMJ

In shock.
Unread Sunday, May 20th 2007, 03:56 PM #21
I am not really surprised people got into a fight on the dancefloor, I've always thought a substantial part of the Sully crowd in weekends is rather sketchy, bringing back bad memories of the gabber/hardcore speedfreak dope-heads that roamed the bigger clubs in Holland. This is also a reason why I hardly go there. Sorry that a brawl like that happened at your party, S & B. I've had fist, knife, and even gun-related violence happen at parties I threw in NL. It's scary.
Thunder, thunder, lightning ahead. Kiss you, kiss you dark & long.

The most basic process is self-organization. This is why, from the big bang to human beings, matter has become complex.
Jean-Marie Lehn

New York, I love u... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLrsjafrfPE

norah

missus
Unread Sunday, May 20th 2007, 03:58 PM #22
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMJ View Post
I am not really surprised people got into a fight on the dancefloor, I've always thought a substantial part of the Sully crowd in weekends is rather sketchy, bringing back bad memories of the gabber/hardcore speedfreak dope-heads that roamed the bigger clubs in Holland. This is also a reason why I hardly go there. Sorry that a brawl like that happened at your party, S & B. I've had fist, knife, and even gun-related violence happen at parties I threw in NL. It's scary.
-for sure, Sully is like testerone fuelled everytime i've been

sleepy&boo

What the fuck?
Unread Sunday, May 20th 2007, 04:16 PM #23
The place was rammed to the gills last night and it's really unfortunate that this happened. But anybody who's trying to insinuate that this is business as usual at Sully is way off base. We've had many, many nights where the club has been very crowded and packed and there have been absolutely no incidents. In fact, last night was the first time we've ever had something like that happen at one of our parties - and we will do our best to make sure it never happens again.
Everyone who is a part of Sully treasures it as a low-key spot where we can all have some fun.

Now, how about we all go back to discussing what a great time we had last night? That's a much more enjoyable topic

Cheers!! And a big WOOOT for Derrick Carter
Sleepy & Boo

sleepy&boo

What the fuck?
Unread Sunday, May 20th 2007, 05:19 PM #24
I can't stop thinking about that Shake & Pop/Wham mashup. Ridiculous!

PICS!!

Sleepy & Boo

th0rax

Rhythmist
Unread Sunday, May 20th 2007, 05:28 PM #25
Quote:

hoho
I see 6-7 of my peepz on this one...definitely representing on the front line
Coming Up:
---------
12/4, SAT - Basic NYC pres. LOCALS Night @Sullivan Room

Bart

Not Impressed
Unread Sunday, May 20th 2007, 05:39 PM #26
Quote:
Originally Posted by th0rax View Post
hoho
I see 6-7 of my peepz on this one...definitely representing on the front line
What are they representing?

sleepy&boo

What the fuck?
Unread Sunday, May 20th 2007, 05:44 PM #27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
What are they representing?
Proper house music, delivered on point by Derrick Carter!

Helllz yeah

Sleepy & Boo

KINGREWIND

Fuck Your Laptop!
Unread Sunday, May 20th 2007, 05:44 PM #28
Quote:

PICS!!

Yeah How could I forget about that one!! Sickkkkk!!!!

Bart

Not Impressed
Unread Sunday, May 20th 2007, 05:54 PM #29
Quote:
Proper house music, delivered on point by Derrick Carter!

Helllz yeah

paulnahm

the future is now
Unread Sunday, May 20th 2007, 06:30 PM #30
Quote:

it's been in my head alll day...

no joke. that shit was on point. dlc is always propa. set was on fire. oops i crapped my pants. great times.

big ups to eric andrew as well.

i love house music.
with the market these days, if you own anything but land, you own a popcorn farm!